4/12/2013

Gluten Free Chicken & Dumplings

Chicken and Dumplings are a staple in the south. I live in Southern Missouri, so while not truly the "south" we do have lots of southern food here! Chicken and Dumplings were always one of my favorite foods and after going gluten free I was sad to give them up! Well after a little trial and error I have come up with a solution! I found the original recipe here and changed it a little to fit my needs. It is DELICIOUS!! My entire family likes it, even my four year old who typically doesn't eat "bread-y" things. Just a little note, this is not a healthy recipe! It is totally gluten free, but I certainly wouldn't call it health food. :) Here is what I use:

(Sauce-cream of crap substitute)
4T butter
4T organic white rice flour
2T tapioca starch
1 cup milk (I used raw this time, I have also used organic, and regular milk)
1 cup organic chicken broth
salt
pepper
parsley
thyme
garlic powder
(sorry for the lack of measurements, I just guess..)

-

2 lbs +/- chicken breasts. I have used frozen or not, with similar results.
1-2 cups vegetables (this time, I used frozen peas and not-frozen carrots)

-

(Dumplings)
2 cups Gluten free Bisquick
1/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup milk
3 eggs

Okay take the first set of ingredients and mix in a sauce pan until it thickens. It won't take long! Plop the chicken and veggies in a crock pot. Feel free to use more of a variety in your veggies to make it healthier, but I am not used to veggies in my chicken and dumplings so that is what I used! Pour your home-made sauce over it. Cook on low for 6 hours. Use a fork to shred the chicken. Mix the dumpling ingredients together. Note that this IS the recipe on the box for gluten free biscuits, with the exception that I used butter instead of shortening (because shortening is gross..) I am sure there is a better GF recipe for drop biscuits with better ingredients, but I had some gluten free Bisquick that I needed to use. Anyway, just drop spoonfuls into the slow cooker. If it does get stuck together, use a knife to separate it after the dumplings cook. Chicken and dumplings are not a pretty food. :) It usually takes about an hour for the dumplings to cook, just keep an eye on them. That's it!

Sorry I am not a chef, or a recipe writer!! I've had a lot of people ask for my gluten free recipes, so I am going to start posting them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India