4/17/2013

Gluten Free Chicken and Rice Soup

This is one of our favorite meals. Everyone in my family likes it a lot. I have been making this for quite a while and sometimes I do slight variations but I make this soup almost once a week! It makes enough for leftovers (unless you have a large family) and it is fairly healthy and inexpensive. If you can't have chicken noodle soup, this is a really great alternative. I am not a huge fan of most gluten free noodles, so I prefer the rice. Here is what you need:


  • About 2 lbs of chicken. I typically use boneless chicken breasts but you can use whatever you have one hand.
  • 1 1/2 - 2 boxes of chicken broth. I use store brand organic, but you could use homemade with a little extra salt (1 box = 1 quart)
  • Fresh or frozen veggies, whatever you have on hand, I normally use carrots and celery
  • 1 cup of brown rice
  • Spices
  • Lemon (optional)

Put your chicken in the Slow Cooker. I have used both fresh and frozen. Throw your veggies (1-2 cups) in a blender, add some chicken broth. I like to make somewhat of a puree, to make the broth thicker. You can do this or you can just chop it up. You could also chop them up yourself and just throw it in if you don't mind a very thin broth. You can also puree half and chop the other half. Dump the veggies into the slow cooker and cover with the remaining chicken broth. If you have a smaller amount of veggies, use only 1 1/2 boxes of chicken broth, use more for more veggies. Add one cup of brown rice. I used white rice once, it doesn't make a difference. Season however you like your soup. Check that all spice blends are gluten free (they should be.) I always use parsley, but I usually throw a few others in too. I will occasionally add the juice of a lemon or two, which gives it a different (but nice) flavor. You will definitely need to add salt if you are using home made chicken stock. Cook on low for as long as possible, I usually leave mine on all day. Use a fork to shred the chicken before serving. The rice tends to "explode" after being cooked all day. I really don't have a problem with this and neither does anyone in my family. If that is something that would bother you, I wouldn't advise making any kind of rice soup in a slow cooker. I think it makes the soup better! Like any soup, this one is even better the next day! My kids both love this, I hope you family loves it too!

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India