8/14/2012

Chicken Shepherd's Pie

Tonight I tried a new recipe for dinner. One of my family's favorite's is Shepherd's Pie, which I posted about last year. You can find that recipe here. But, I've always wanted to try a chicken version. So, tonight I did. I didn't use my traditional tomato and Worcestershire base though. I decided to try a cheesy base for the chicken version.

I wasn't' too sure how it was going to turn out, so I only made one batch. Normally when I make our Our Favorite Shepherd's Pie, I make two batches and we eat it for a few days, since it's so good. Well, I only made one batch of this, and I will definitely make it again. Delvin took the first bit and said "This is delicious!". Yay... another great recipe to add to the family favorites. Just to be sure, I took a bite and confirmed it was indeed delicious! So, I'm passing the recipe on to you.

Chicken Shepherd's Pie

Prep Time: 25 minutes          Cook Time: 25 minutes          Serves: 6

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz each), cubed
4 tbsp butter, divided
1 pouch roasted garlic mashed potatoes
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups milk
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn (I use Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn)

Directions:
1) In a small skillet, cook chicken in 1 tbsp butter until no longer pink. Set aside, and keep warm. (You can substitute with 12oz of Perdue Short Cuts, if your in a hurry.)

2) Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.

3) Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat.

4) Whisk in flour until smooth.

5) Gradually add milk, and stir in seasonings. Bring to a boil.

6) Reduce heat, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.

7) Stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese until melted. Add peas, corn, and chicken.

8) Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.

9) Top with mashed potatoes, sprinkle with remaining cheese.

10) Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.

11) Carefully remove the shepherd's pie from the oven and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it.

Enjoy! :-)





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India