5/16/2011

Our Family's Favorite Shepherd's Pie

I have no memory of my mom ever making shepherd's pie when I was a child. I don't know if she just never liked it, or maybe she did make it and I just didn't like it, so I've forgotten those memories. Either way, after I had Luke, my brother-in-law made some food and brought it over to the house for us so I wouldn't have to cook right away. He brought over a ton of shepherd's pie. Unfortunately, neither my husband or I liked it. I was determined to find or create a recipe we would love. So, here it is!

Our Favorite Shepherd's Pie

Prep Time: 35 minutes          Cook Time: 25 minutes          Serves: 6

Ingredients:
Our Favorite Shepherd's Pie
Mashed potatoes (packaged or homemade)
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (6oz) can tomato sauce
2 tbsp parsley
Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
15-16oz of veggie of your choice (I use Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350° F.

2) Make your mashed potatoes. (I normally use Idahoan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes to give it a little more flavor.) ** If your making homemade mashed potatoes for the first time, the directions are at the bottom of this recipe.

3) Brown the ground turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat; drain excess fat.

4) To the ground turkey mixture, add; tomato sauce, parsley, Worcestershire sauce to taste, salt, ground black pepper, and cooked vegetables.

5) In a small seperate bowl, mix the flour with 3 tbsp water and stir into the ground turkey mixture.

6) Stir all together well.

7) Transfer the meat mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the ground turkey mixture.

8) Place 2-3 vent holes in the mashed potatoes.

9) Bake the pie at 350° F for 20 minutes.

10) Remove the pie from the oven and brush the milk over the potatoes.

11) Put the pie back in the oven for 5 more minutes.

12) Carefully remove the shepherd's pie from the oven and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it.

Make Your Own Mashed Potatoes
You'll need 9 potatoes for this recipe.
1) Peel and cube the potatoes.
2) Place the potatoes into a large pot full of water.
3) Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
4) Boil over high heat for 15 minutes.
5) Once done, drain the potatoes.
6) Mash them, and your done.
* Optional: You can add butter to taste.

Enjoy! :-)

2 comments:

Virginia M. said...

Mmm...I remember eating this as a kid! Except my parents would make it more traditionally with ground lamb! (We are originally from the New England area.)

Amy and Meagan said...

Yeah. I've never eaten it with ground lamb, but I do know that is the traditional way of making it. Have you ever made it with ground lamb for your family?

- Meagan

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India